I’m using Substance Painter 2018 to create the material look for this vintage game console. It’s a prop found in one of the bedroom scenes within the game. This is currently about 75% completed and needs polish on certain areas. The working map right now is 2048x2048px in size so I’m pretty happy the console, controller and everything fit onto a map that size. In-game it may very well be compressed down to a 1024×1024 texture map.
So I wrapped up a one-day modeling session on a hero prop found in our main character’s bedroom. Some of you may be old enough to recognize this console. The triangle count is pretty high for a scene prop so LODs will be in order for this once I get this highest LOD unwrapped and textured. The miserable part of doing UVs is next, but it’s shortly followed by the far better experience of using Substance Painter to texture the asset.
The other day I started modeling an Atari 2600 console that will be a hero prop in the protagonist’s bedroom. It was more a therapeutic escape from other work and the mind boggle of figuring out complex code approaches to difficult problems. Sometimes I just want to model something I enjoy to help me relax and wind down. It’s been a stressful last few months and moments like this are nice.
I haven’t dealt with the ramp to platform transition yet, but I did get the knee compression working tonight. I like the feel of playing this enough that I think I’m going to create a pool or bowl and test that out in the near future. I need to get a system for both leaning-to-turn and turn-by-lifting the front of the board. If i can get those two things feeling natural I think I’ll be in a good spot. Also here is the first build I’m sharing of this, just for anyone to test out how it feels to move the player. Any and all insight or feedback is definitely welcome.
In this video I go through some of the latest changes to the source Unity project. These include polishing a rock solid physics-based controller, implementing a rudimentary audio system for the player, creating a pseudo “surface” detection system and the very beginnings of an animation control system.
I’ve been working on the prototype for my ramp skater prefab to be used specifically in ramp-only skating scenes. I am procedurally animating the character and motions using IK and “jiggle bones”. So far it’s starting to look more organic, but still feels like a mannequin riding on a board. I’m sure with more polish I will get it looking natural.